OUR PARTNERS IN DEVELOPMENT
NEWDAWN INDIA – UK
Who are we?
NewDawn India, a Christian charity based in Suffolk, UK, has been supporting the work of Vidiyal in Madurai since its inception in 1996. We have five trustees – Mr. Neville Cooper, Mrs. Sandra Davies, Mr. Peter Ellis, Mrs. Brenda Sturgeon and Mrs. Sally-Ann Wells, along with a close band of supporters who are involved in fund raising activities.
We have been honoured to be welcomed as part of the Vidiyal family through the years and enjoy sharing across our cultures about the needs and achievements of the children in our different societies.
What do we do?
- Many of the children attending the Vidiyal centres are sponsored by our supporters, who love to communicate with them through letters and photographs and to follow their progress with encouraging words.
- Other supporters make regular donations to support the work at Vidiyal, while not sponsoring a particular child.
- We run all sorts of events and activities to raise funds for the work of Vidiyal, including curry evenings, coffee mornings, concerts, quizzes, dances, garden lunches and cream teas.
- Some of our Trustees and supporters give talks and presentations to raise awareness of the needs of the street children from the slums of Madurai, the work of Vidiyal and the Child Rights issues that are central to the Vidiyal campaign.
- Our UK administration costs are minimal as most of the work is undertaken by the Trustees. We can assure supporters that every penny they give is used for the benefit of the children in Madurai.
- We produce newsletters to keep everybody up to date with what is happening and to distribute news we receive from Vidiyal.
Comments from some of the suppporters
The NewDawn India/Vidiyal link is not like a charity, it’s more like a family. Elly Evans
Until our visit we had no comprehension of the difference the charity makes to so many young people’s lives, with the commitment of such dedicated staff. It was an amazing and humbling experience. Lowri Davies
Vidiyal is incredible and we were so encouraged by the visible effect the work has on the children and families involved. Katie Lifford
The unstinting hard work of Jim, Sharmila and their team of helpers makes such a difference to the lives of the 300+ children attending Vidiyal at any one time. It opens up horizons never imagined possible a generation ago. Here, we need to keep fund-raising for NewDawn to sustain the level of support in these difficult economic times. John Sturgeon